Virginia is a university English teacher for more than twenty years. She focuses primarily on assisting individuals compose essays quicker and easier.
Want An Improved Grade?
Numerous things have actually changed into the 23 years i have taught College English, but the one thing have not. Pupils nevertheless result in the exact same typical mistakes on their documents. We guarantee that you will get a better grade if you follow my instructions to eliminate these errors on your paper. Perhaps perhaps perhaps Not time that is much? My recommendations are purchased most abundant in ones that are important.
Spelling and Grammar
The issue: Students rush in order to complete their documents and do not make the right time for you to find and fix mistakes which they could effortlessly correct.
The Perfect Solution Is:
- Spell-check your essay making use of your word processing program.
- Utilize Grammarly to simply help search for errors (Bing “Grammarly’ to download the free variation). After making use of this myself for per year, I finally need my students put it to use too since it does get many common word option mistakes and comma errors.
- Re-read your essay gradually (out loud is most beneficial) from beginning to end. That will help you discover great deal of errors and typos that would be missed by your spellchecker.
- Ask some other person to learn your essay to consider mistakes. Sometimes buddy can easily see one thing you cannot.
Why Fix? Misspelled words and typos tell your instructor that you do not care. More to the point, these kinds of mistakes face to face inform your employer because you don’t spell check!) that you are a sloppy worker, and that can make you get passed over for a promotion (but no one will tell you it is. Therefore figure out how to be described as a proofreader that is careful.
Check Word Useage
The difficulty: Students compose the way they talk, making their writing too casual.
The answer: Look at your essay to observe that you’re not using these words that are common expressions which are either:
- wrong sentence structure
- confused terms
- bad term alternatives
- perhaps maybe not suitable for a educational piece
To fix this Forever: Keep a listing of the expressed term errors which you find in your documents, or that your particular teacher has marked on graded essays. Make an effort to discover the guidelines. Make sure those expressed words if you use them or otherwise whenever you proofread.
Why Fix? The guidelines of all of those expressed words are taught in primary college. Perhaps those lessons were missed by you, don’t understand, or have a couple of of the you do not keep in mind. As these are classes taught to small children, it must be a piece of cake them now for you to learn. Do your self a benefit and see your standard mistakes making sure that you are able to considerably enhance your writing for future years.
Common Term Mistakes
Whenever You Fix Grammar Errors..
Revise Boring, Short and Repetitive Sentences
Problem: Sentences are wordy, boring, and seem the exact same.
Original: The Ebola outbreak is with in West Africa. The Ebola virus is lethal. The Ebola virus is frightening to people that are many. Individuals wonder should they will end up the following victims for this virus that is deadly. Individuals do not trust federal government sources that guarantee us the Ebola virus is included.
- Circle every expressed word that you apply to start out a phrase.
- Try to find sentences which have exactly the same very very first terms, specially if they’re in identical paragraph and alter them in a single of this after methods:
Put in a transition term or expression to begin the phrase (nevertheless, even though, furthermore, in addition, additionally, consequently). See my “change words” chart for lots more examples.
Use various sentence kinds, like concerns, interjections and commands.
- That will be truly the many way that is important avoid Ebola?
- We have to act now!
- Remember that as the world shrinks, what are the results in Africa and somewhere else has importance that is great everybody.
Re-arrange the phrase having an Introductory Element. Basic elements are phrases that can come before the topic of the phrase. Usually you are able to simply take the conclusion of a phrase and go it to your front side in order to make an even more sentence that is interesting. Do not forget a comma following the Introductory Element.
Western Africa could be the destination in which the life-threatening Ebola virus first hit. Wondering if the life-threatening virus will distribute, many individuals are frightened by Ebola. maybe Not trusting federal federal federal government sources, residents in hard-hit nations are wondering they love will be the next victim if they or someone.
- Combine quick sentences and eliminate repeated terms.
Original: The Ebola outbreak is with in western Africa. The Ebola virus is lethal. The Ebola virus is frightening to people.
Re-write: The lethal Ebola virus outbreak in western Africa is frightening to a lot of individuals.
- Make use of semicolon to mix sentences.
The terrifying and deadly Ebola outbreak in western Africa causes visitors to wonder who’ll function as victim that is next furthermore, lots of people never trust the us government sources that state the herpes virus is included.
Why research topic in psychology sentence that is changing works: when you’ve got sentences you start with similar term, maybe you are utilising the “subject-verb-object” kind of sentence that English speakers utilize whenever we talk. Once you compose, it’s not necessary to continue to keep the niche because the very first term within the phrase. Then when you revise the word that is first your writing immediately appears more expert and smart.
Test Revisions: despite the fact that federal government sources guarantee us the Ebola outbreak in West Africa will undoubtedly be included, lots of people are frightened which they can become the following victims of the virus that is deadly.
Maybe maybe perhaps Not government that is trusting which guarantee us that the Ebola virus is included, lots of people are frightened and wonder if they are going to get to be the next victims for this lethal virus which arises from western Africa.
Always check Commas, Semicolons and Colons
The issue: Commas look when they’ren’t required or are lacking when they’re needed. Your trainer may write “comma splice,” “run-on phrase” or “no comma needed.”
The perfect solution is: Proofread your paper while looking at the Rules for making use of Commas, and Easy Rules for Semicolon and Colon.
Here you will find the Fundamental Comma Rules:
- Make use of comma in a list.Example: James really loves bananas, oranges, peaches, and strawberries.
- Make use of comma before a combination (and, but, or, so, for, yet, nor) when there is a complete phrase (subject and verb) pre and post the combination. instance: James really loves bananas being ripe, buthe will not consume any fresh fruit which has had spots that are brown.
- Work with a comma after an Introductory Element (word or expression) which comes prior to the subject in a phrase. Instance: In spite of eating a complete bowl high in fruit at lunch, James ended up being nevertheless hungry.
- Use commas to mark down unimportant information. Then try saying the sentence without that phrase if you aren’t sure if it needs a comma. Then you should probably use commas if the sentence still makes sense. Example: James, whom loves a number of fresh fruit, constantly attempts to come beside me once I’m shopping during the Farmer’s marketplace, which can be just available on mornings saturday.
2 techniques to make use of Semicolon
- Make use of a Semicolon in the place of a duration to place two sentences together.Example:James always goes beside me to your food store; we constantly argue over whether or not to get green, red, or black colored seedless grapes.
- Make use of Semicolon having a transition term comma that is. Example:James constantly goes we usually spend most of our time arguing over which sort of grapes to buy with me to the grocery store; however.
Just how to Make Use Of Colon
A colon is employed before a listing, an example or explanation. Example: James constantly argue about which grapes will be the most useful: red, black or green.
Check always Your Quotes and Sources
The situation: students don’t use quotation marks always properly or inform where they got information.
The perfect solution is: look for in which you require sources. while you read your paper over, mark the right parts which were some ideas that originated from another person. Have actually the reader was told by you in which you have that information? You particularly need certainly to cite your supply for facts, data, quotations or other information that isn’t basic knowledge.
Put your sources in your paper. The way that is easiest are not for maybe not including your sources is always to point out for which you’ve got the details in your writing. Below are a few test formats:
- In Damian Reed’s article, “Where wild birds Fly South,” he states that.
- Relating to Damian Reed in “Where wild birds Fly South,” the hummingbird does not migrate.
- Hummingbirds do not migrate the moment expected, notes Damian Reed in “Where wild birds Fly South” (Reed 24).